If you’ve been following me on Instagram you’ll have seen I made this cake the other week and it was probably one of the most delicious things I’ve ever baked! I have to give credit to the ever favourite website that is BBC Good Food for this recipe, but as soon as I’d perfected it to myself I knew I had to share it with you! So here we are, with the ultimate super chocolatey chocolate fudge cake recipe… now if that doesn’t get your mouth watering, I don’t know what will!
First thing to say, is the recipe below is doubled as I have MASSIVE cake tins! The original recipe recommends an 18cm tin while mine are 23cm tins. I also, therefore doubled the chocolate icing recipe, which I went a little heavy with on top, so there wasn’t quite enough left to go round the sides… but you can’t get everything perfect right!
For the cake
- 350g self raising flower
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g caster sugar
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 300 semi-skimmed milk
For the icing
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 450 g icing sugar
- 80 g cocoa powder
- 5 tsp milk
Credit: BBC Good Food
- Preheat oven to 180g and grease two large tins. I lined the bottom with greaseproof paper, as I have a springform tins, they’re relatively easy then to remove without losing half your cake as it’s stuck to the tin!
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a big bowl
- Add in the sugar and mix well till everything is combined.
- Make a well in the centre (a big one) and add the golden syrup, eggs, sunflower oil and milk. And then whisk well until the mixture is smooth. It’s actually a scarily easy cake mix!
- Pour mixture into tins and bake for 25-30 mins or until you can prod something into it and it comes out clean. Your cake should also spring back slightly after touching.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in their tins for 5-10 mins. Then remove from the tins and leave to completely cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing, beat the butter in a bowl until soft. Gradually sieve in icing sugar and coca powder and combine. Then to finish add enough milk to make it fluffy and spreadable
- Sandwich the two cakes with the chocolate icing and then cover completely with MORE chocolate icing
I mean it was delicious! And it’s 100% one of those recipes I’m going to make again! And safe to say, Alex was a massive fan!
If you try this, let me know and tag me in your photos!