Here I’m going to talk about 5 myths behind blogging. The things everyone thinks happens from day one of blogging, the misconceptions, the first thoughts that go through peoples heads when I tell them I have the blog. The 5 harsh truths of what blogging really is… past awesome!
1. Success does not come from day one – I feel like I’m a good example of this. 2 years on and I still don’t feel like I’ve found it. My following growth has been a slow and organic process of years of hard work. I’ve learnt so much and made so many mistakes that if I came at it now, I feel like I would have grown so much faster… but that’s the joy of hindsight… Also, linked to this. It’s unlikely going to be a career for a long time
2. You won’t get free products straight away – I get the odd thing here or there, but it’s a fairly rare occurrence and it’s usually brands you’ve never heard of. This really shouldn’t be the reason you get into this, otherwise it’ll show… and it’ll show hard. But we all know it would be a great bonus. And it just doesn’t happen for some time!
3. It’s hard work – I feel like I’ve touched on this in blog posts before. Blogging is hard work. It takes time, dedication, a lot of learning and just a lot of your personal blood, sweat and tears. Don’t let this put you off, it’s rewarding, it’s fun and I love it. But there’s no denying this s**t takes work.
4. It’s expensive – ok, I know it really shouldn’t be. But, you feel the need to buy new things to talk about, get new equipment to make your photos look better, purchase a domain name, pay your WordPress subscription… all of it. And, realistically, you can get pretty far without spending a penny. But.. let’s face it. It’s a bit of an investment.
5. You do learn A LOT – I know it’s kind of like a humanity subject by the fact that most the things you learn are soft skills and more transferable skills than like learning how to build an aeroplane or something. But still, you do learn a lot. And a lot of really random things you never knew you needed to know.
Do you agree? or do you have other things to add to this list?