Nothing screams Christmas more than gingerbread! And so, I thought I would share with you one of my favourite recipes. I decided to make gingerbread cupcakes, with gingerbread icing and gingerbread biccies! It’s like a gingerbread explosion. So, enjoy. And be sure to tag me in photos if you try this yourself?
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarb of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into a bowl. Add the butter and rub between your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup.
- Knead briefly until smooth, cover in clingfilm, and put in the fridge to chill for 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 18odegC and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper/cover with butter.
- Roll out the dough until approx. 0.5cm thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out the shapes of your desire (I went with heart shapes, because it’s the only cookie cutter I own..).
- Place on a tray, with small gaps in between.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown.
- Leave to completely cool, and then decorate with icing.
150s soft brown sugar
150 self-raising flour
1tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180degC
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Gradually mix in the eggs, alternate with flour to avoid curdling.
- Stir through milk (I forgot this step… whoops)
- Bake for 15-20 mins, until golden brown.
Gingerbread Buttercream Icing
50g soft brown sugar
200g icing sugar
pinch of cinnamon
- Put 50g of the butter and all of the brown sugar over a low heat until melted. Add 2tsp of milk and leave to cool.
- Beat butter till smooth, and add sugar and the melted sugar and butter. Add more milk until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Sprinkle the top of the cupcake with cinnamon.
Hope you enjoy!