I probably should have included this in my monthly goals.. but ah well, it was something I decided today (don’t worry… I haven’t actually spent anything other than milk & rent in the last 3 days). I need to save money… I’m not talking fortunes, just a little to give me a little cushion at the end of the month rather than reaching my overdraft at the every month and literally living hand to mouth… because, take it from me, that lifestyle is stressful.
A heads up for any of you budding young arts professionals… it’s not a high paid job… in fact I actually earned more at McDonalds… there’s a depressing fact for you. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I LOVE it. But it doesn’t lead for an extravagant lifestyle, especially when rent for what is effectively just a room in a house takes over 60% of it…
Putting that aside, I do spend more than I should on stuff I really don’t need. And I’m now at a point in my life where I have a million different items of clothing, 6 bottles of soap, 3 bottles of shampoo, 15 tubes of moisturiser… you get the idea. So, all I should need to buy is food, transport… and well rent. I thought if I dedicated, in word, to all of you. I might be more inclined to keep to it.
So here are my rules;
- Direct debits are fine – I’m talking phone bills, netflix, rent (obviously), insurances, beauty boxes etc. because a girl gotta live a modern day lifestyle and netflix is my life.. especially with bakeoff on it!
- Food is ok – I mean I’m saving, not starving. So, yes I’m allowed to buy food… however, I’m not allowed takeaways (not that I eat them), or eating out or any of that fancy stuff
- Meal deals are a once a week max event – Ok, this is probably a really unusual rule.. but my addiction to the chicken pasta bake from TESCO in their meal deal is real. And I don’t think I’d survive without my fix. I normally eat them every lunch (hides under the duvet… don’t judge)… but for this month, once a week.
- No buying makeup – I feel like this is going to be the hardest… but I have a million and one products, and I do already have a little build up of new in products to talk to you all about, so I should be able to cope
- You are allowed to leave the house – I don’t need to have NO social life just because I’m saving money… so yes, I can still go off down the pub for a chat, or get on a train and visit home/friends, or anything like that
- Odd change & vouchers still count – This is how I normally end up spending more than I should. I often feel like cash doesn’t count. Mainly because I keep an eye on my finances by online banking.. but still. All the odd change in my room still counts as money… so if I buy a 95p sausage roll from Greggs with the change in my room… that’s still an expense
- Write down everything you spend – And this is where you come in. I am going to be noting everything I buy this month and it’s going to be like a dramatic exposé at the end of the month when I reveal how successful (or not) I have been by showing you everything I have bought…
Wish me luck! Eek